Sunday, February 4, 2018

February Meeting


Our Feb. Meeting is on 2/8 at 7PM. See below:
LOCATION CHANGE: We will meet at the Purple Turtle Art Studio downtown Bryan. Parking is sometimes limited due to nearby restaurants but lighting is great all over. ALSO THIS MONTH ONLY do not plan on getting into the space until 6:45/6:50 as Lisa (with key) has an across town commitment until 6:30.

This month we will have our usual meeting routine - updates, a quick game and etc.
The program is a red yarn swap. Please bring red/pink/valentines yarn and some sort of chocolate to participate in a “white elephant” style swap. Please have your gift wrapped, even if just in a plastic sack.
Hope to see you all there!

Monday, January 22, 2018

January Meeting Notes and Yearly Challenge Announced!

Here are the notes from our January meeting, which took place on Jan. 11, 2018 at Habitat for Humanity in Bryan.

We discussed a new location and decided to try out "Purple Turtle Art Studio" - a place that Lisa works - as an option for next month.  If we like it we will discuss working with her to make it a more permanent spot.  The only real issue with this location is that it is downtown, which can lead to parking issues. 

Other places mentioned were: 
Looking into JoAnn or Michaels classrooms
Blinn (where Rhonda works)
Intersections - worried about space.

--

We still want to have a retreat, but it will not be until the summer because Dawn at Independence Farmstead Fibers cannot host us until then.  When it happens it will be a one-day workshop.

--

Our 2018 Challenge has been decided and it is a charity knit challenge.  For the first 6 months we will be knitting things to send to Operation Gratitude. Specifically they want hats and scarves, and you can find the logistics on their website.  We will be knitting from now until June and give prizes to those who complete certain amounts when we collect everything to send.  

I will be creating a page above in the next week with all the details on this challenge.

--

The program for the month was taught by Debbie, and it was over deconstructing old sweaters to make new yarns.  While we cannot physically teach you on the blog, here are some notes to help you get started:

-Keep your labels when you do this so you always remember the content
-Watch out for how button holes may have been made 
-Look at how worn it is
-Is it dyeable or feltable?
-Look at how and what it's sewn with to determine a good place to start taking apart
-It's harder to take apart if it was a fabric that was cut and surged together
-Check where your seams meet as you go and look for ends.

There are lots of resources out there to get you started, but it was a fun new thing to learn!
--

Our February meeting will be on 2/8.  We will be having a Red(or color family of red) yarn and chocolate swap.  Bring yarn (destash!) and chocolate and see what you get back :)

Thanks all

~Lisa
VP

Monday, January 8, 2018

January and 2018

Sorry for such a late update - it's been hard to get in touch with our venue - but we have the meeting for January planned!

First meeting of the year is at Habitat for Humanity in Bryan on Lake Street. 

We will have a program by Debbie that is about deconstructing sweaters, specifically from the thrift stores. If you want to try and find one before then, look for something that isn't super fuzzy or thin yarn. Probably not a lot of colors and patterns. Wool work best. 

We will also discuss finding a new location (again - Lisa has ideas) and activities for the year. 

Bring your knitting and join us. The only way the things you wanna see will happen is if you come and tell us :)

---

We are looking for a new location to be our permanent spot for awhile, so that we don't always have to rely on asking Habitat each month.  There are a couple of ideas thrown around that will be discussed at this meeting.

We want to plan a fiber/dying day trip for the year. Likely at Independence Farmstead Fibers, but we haven't set a date.  Plan on news for that soon!

And we are working towards make our group more official again.  Afterall, we are more than just a group who likes to knit. Talks of a 2018 charity challenge are underway.

--

Don't forget social meetups every Tuesday at Gogh Gogh Coffee in College Station (off Barron Rd).  Starts at 5.  Usually goes til 6:30-7. Bring your fibery projects and have some fun!


Monday, November 13, 2017

November Meeting Notes

Sorry I haven't posted in a few months, I always forget. But I want to get better so people new can find us!

Here are notes from the November meeting, which was held on November 9th at the College Station Fire House.

--

Christmas Party:
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 8TH AT WC MERCANTILE. tIME IS 7 (will confirm soon!)
Please bring your secret santa gift if you participated, a potluck item (Ravelry thread coming soon!) and your finished knit-along if you did it.
Do not have to do any of above to come, we will love you anyway!
End of year prizes for knit-along finishers, hoiliday games, good company.  Come celebrate with us!

Plans for 2018:
Instead of a yearly challenge, doing a quarterly “charity challenge” – picking a charity every quarter and seeing who can make the most for that charity – receives a prize.
We will research charities in January
---
January meeting plans –
Debbie will discuss upcycling sweaters from the thrift store.  If you wish to participate and find a sweater beforehand, here is a list of things to look for:
-Content and condition
-should not have a halo or a lot of pills
-Wool or Cashmere or blends are easiest
-Solid colors easier than colorwork

--
Anybody have any input on anything above, feel free to reach out via Ravelry or Facebook. We don't check the email or the blog comments too often, FYI.

Your faithful VP,
~Lisa

Monday, September 4, 2017

September Meeting - TUESDAY the 12th

Hello knitters, crocheters and fiber enthusiasts alike!

I wanted to take a moment and let you all know that our next few meetings will be on a different date than normal.  Because our usual spot - Habitat for Humanity - is unavailable for the next few months on Thursdays, we will be meeting on the 2nd Tuesday. 

The meeting this month is on September 12th at 7pm.  Habitat for Humanity classroom, 119 Lake st, Bryan.  As always, parking is limited but there is ample street parking as well.

We decided last month to focus on Make and Take for this meeting.  If you have materials, please bring them to make:

-Shawl pin rings
-Stitch Markers
-Connected Point protectors
-other cool knitting accessories to you know of.

We will all share our tools and knowledge.

---

For those following along, we have now published all of the clues for the Knit Along.  They can all be found on the page above, labeled BVKG 2017 Knit Along.  Our October meeting will focus on proper blocking techniques, but that doesn't mean you have to finish it by then.  To be eligible for prizes, you have to be done and blocked by our holiday party in December.

--

Speaking of Holiday Parties, our annual Secret Santa has been posted.  Very few have signed up, but we wanted to draw names at the September meeting.  If you wish to participate, please see our post on Ravelry. 

---

Finally, we will be writing (and presenting?) a check to Habitat for Humanity for letting us use the space this month.  We will also be collecting dues for membership this month. We voted last month to raise them to $20 to make all our lives a little easier.

---

See you all soon!

~Lisa, VP

Monday, August 7, 2017

August Meeting - 8/10

Hi Friends! I'm sorry I forgot to update last month, but I will be getting back on track this fall.  As always, you can join our Facebook or Ravelry groups to get all the latest info.

Our August meeting is at the BCS Habitat for Humanity classroom - 119 Lake Street, Bryan.  We meet at 7 pm and usually go until 8/8:30.  All are welcome to join us!

We will be having a discussion meeting this time, with plans to start programs/classes next month.  For this month we are asking people to bring a favorite FO/project by a favorite designer to discuss.  It can be one that you just loved making, or one you struggled with.  Discussion of why you enjoyed it or how you overcame that struggle.

We will also be having a "Back to school destash" for those who wish to bring anything in their stash they want to clear out and let others pick through.  You don't have to bring to take ;)

I'll be posting the last clue for our MKAL soon, so check for that as well.  Have a great week friends.

~Lisa (VP)

Monday, May 22, 2017

June Meeting and More

For our June meeting we will be at the Habitat For Humanity Classroom/house - 119 Lake St, Bryan at 7pm.

This month we are kicking off the summer months with a pretty laid back meeting. We will be talking business/money as well as a door prize game. 

As our "program" we will be doing a show and tell of sorts, where each member is asked to share their favorite "knitting hack". This could be anything from "my go to cast-on is..." to something more detailed/unique. Feel free to bring examples/print out instructions if you wish (not required).

We will also be releasing the final clue before the lace of our KAL at this meeting. Making it bigger/editing the pattern will also be discussed here.

----

July will be "Christmas in July" where members are encouraged (but not required) to knit up a Woodlands Violets Cowl that will be then gifted via white elephant gift exchange.  We will also have a finger foods potluck.  The event is tentatively at our President Laura's house.  Final info TBA at meeting. 

---

We elected officers last meeting.  Our new board is:

Laura Nickelson - President
Lisa Urban - Vice President
Rhonda Lance - Secretary
Susan Gater - Treasurer


--

Happy Spring and Hello Summer!